This simple appetizer recipe got rave reviews the last time I served it to friends. Cheap and easy to prepare, too! And by cheap, I mean dirt cheap. You only need marble potatoes if you have all the other spices and ingredients on hand. Plus you will need an oven or an oven-toaster. Surprise you family and friends because, yes, this one definitely tastes gourmet without much of the hassle. Ready?
Things you’ll need:
1 lb Potatoes (small, round ones are best)
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1 (pseudo-heap) Tbsp Rosemary
1 (level) Tbsp Thyme
5 cloves of big-ass garlic
A dash of salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
What stuff to get and other miscellaneous tips:
Potatoes – Groceries label ‘em marble potatoes. Get the small round ones from your favorite grocery store, this costs about P25 or less
Olive Oil – I usually get Bertolli Classico Mild Taste, costs about P200. You may also use other olive oil brands or the “Extra Virgin” variant.
Rosemary and Thyme – a bitch to come by fresh so get McCormick
The Fun Part:
1. Wash potatoes thoroughly then put them aside
2. Finely chop your garlic
3. In a huge bowl or pan, put in Olive Oil and add chopped garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, Salt, and Pepper. Stir thoroughly to mix. You may use a spoon or your hands, whatever.
4. Put in your mini potatoes in the bowl with the olive oil and spices mix. Work the potatoes until every bit is coated with your spice concoction. Use your hands.
5. Put everything in a baking pan or your trusty oven-toaster tray
6. Cook in oven (at 400 degrees) or oven-toaster (at 400w) for one hour (you can’t rush gourmet but ‘s worth the wait)
7. Take out from pan, put in plate, and serve.
You’ll know you’re done when the skins of the potatoes look shriveled in parts. The process may take less time from an oven than an oven-toaster, so observe them skins. Instant appetizer! Serves about 6 as finger-food.
I won’t be too keen to substitute olive oil with vegetable or coconut oil, though. In food that requires long cooking time, it is best to use olive oils because it has been said that olive oil can withstand high temperatures better than other types of oil.
The good thing with this is if you already have the olive oil and the spices, you will only need to buy the potatoes. Nifty, I know. You will definitely get praises like:
“You DID this?”
“You SURE you did not just buy this?”
“Ibang level ka toooool!”