For my own peace of mind, I searched the web for reviews and initial reactions that may make me hate pre-ordering a Nokia N8. Enumerated below, ranked from the mostest bestestest badassiest and so on, are features that I know will make me whole again as a person. Now, if only the phone can give me like 3 inches more in height.
1. Excellent camera: 12 megapixel Carl Zeiss with autofocus, Xenon flash, 720p HD video playback and recording (can output and record Dolby Digital Plus surround sound. Unit is also pre-loaded with a photo and video editing application)
2. Superior connectivity: five-band WCDMA radio, WiFi b/g/n, FM radio and transmitter, HDMI connection
3. Ovi Maps with GPS/navigation, complete with free turn-by-turn spoken directions which can be used offline (“offline” would mean no roaming charges when used elsewhere in the planet)
4. Exhaustive multimedia playback support: H.264, MPEG-4, VC-1, Sorenson Spark and Real Video 10 video, MP3, WMA, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, AMR-NB and AMR-WB audio (up to 320kbps), and support for streaming Flash video
5. Anodized aluminium casing won’t ever look cheap compared with the plastics
6. Plug a USB thumb drive into it (will require an adapter, but still)
7. Threaded SMS/MMS conversations and sortable/searcheable inbox.
If you noticed, I noted what I’d be using the phone for based on my lifestyle and habits. These are essentials for me, this very particular user, and if other smartphones can give me all these plus those cutesy and shiny icons from the iPhone 4 or other Android devices, then maybe I’ll change my mind.
N8, you’ll be mine on the 23rd. (Smart, I’m telling you you better eff’n deliver with your promise because I’m so looking forward to it and excited right now, it’s not even funny)